02 4625 3446
Call 02 4625 3446Contact Us

7 Tips to Avoid Electrical Dangers in Your Home

With our heavy reliance on electricity, we all need to be cautious of the electrical use in our homes. Knowing the way electricity can be a danger to you and your family and how you can keep your home safe is vital.

It takes one moment in lapse of judgment to cause devastation!

Listed below are some of the most common electricity dangers in the home and how to stop them from happening to you.

Faulty Wiring – Poor wiring increases the chance of an electrical fire. This is one of the reasons why it’s best to avoid doing electrical work yourself. Get a professional electrician to do it for you. If needed, you may need to upgrade and replace any old, faulty wires.

Outlets Close to Water – Electricity and water do not mix. Water conducts electricity and when coming in contact with people, it can kill them. The outlets in your bathroom and kitchen should be installed a good distance away from any water sources to prevent deaths or serious injuries. Please don’t use your smartphone, or charge it, while in the bath!

Covered Electrical Cords and Wires – Covering of cords and wires can make them overheat and cause a fire. Keep your cords and wires away from other objects and ensure that they never get covered. Similarly, ensure that your computer and television have enough space and proper ventilation to ensure they do not catch fire.

Light Bulbs – Many people don’t realise just how dangerous light bulbs can be. But when they are covered by curtains, jackets, plastics, etc., a fire could occur.

Light bulbs, like all other electricity sources, can cause an electrical shock. Make sure that when unscrewing a light bulb, it’s turned off. When replacing a light bulb, ensure you’re replacing it with the right wattage. If you don’t, overheating can easily occur.

Extension Cords – If these aren’t hidden and away from walkways, you can trip and hurt yourself. Don’t use extension cords as a permanent substitution for a power source, and don’t ever plug in too many cords into an extension cord, this can lead to overheating and fires.

Spend a bit extra and get extension cords with a “kill switch” to cut power immediately (and protect your electrical items and home) in case of danger.

Curious Little Children – Open sockets are a huge danger to little kids. They want to stick anything and everything into the hole and can get an electric shock as a result, leading to some very serious injuries – or death. To prevent this from happening, use plastic socket covers.

Pouring Water on Electrical Fires – Water conducts electricity so this would only make the fire worse. Keep a fire extinguisher and/or a fire blanket in your home to help extinguish any fire. If you can’t extinguish the fire yourself, turn off the electrical power source causing the fire and call 000 for help.

Electricity isn’t something you should ever mess around with. Be safe and ensure that these accidents never happen in your home.

When installing motorised roller shutters and awnings to your property – we always ensure we communicate with you the electrical aspects of the products and ensure that safety is a top priority!

Do you have any other tips? Comment below.

Related Posts